Friday, May 6, 2011

In the begining.......

Much research and decision making went into how I came to the fact that I needed surgery.  I can remember when the gastric bypass was new and I researched it for a friend.  How scary the surgery looked and what it would mean for my future.  A year and a half ago I did the HCG diet and lost 30lbs in 35 days....very cool.  I kept it off for a year then I slipped into my old eating habits, not good I know.  When I tried to do it again late last year, it failed and failed bad or should I say I failed.  Two of the girls I had been working with had done the lap band.  One had done it two years ago this July and was doing awesome, the other had it done a month before I decided to do it.  I needed help and surgery seemed to be that help. 
On March 31 of this year I had the lap band placed and I have never looked back.  My pre op diet was 10 days of clear liquids, protein waters, and watery stool.  Not a pretty picture.  Half way thru the ten days I was not losing weight and I couldn't figure out why.  So I contacted my surgeon's office and that is when I was told that if I didn't loose enough weight my surgery would be canceled.  I was horrified.  I had to lose weight and it just wasn't coming off despite the fact I was following the diet to the letter.  Then on day 7 I had dropped and the scale was moving.  By surgery I had dropped 15 lbs.  The skys opened up and the angels sang.  I had surgery and all went well.  My diet for the next three days were much of the same clear liquids.  I didn't stay overnight just day surgery and was home late as my surgery didn't happen til 2:30.  My pain was minimal and the liquid loritab helped a lot.  I had dry mouth really bad and so the gas strips I bought just stuck to my tongue.....very nasty.  The gas was passing and not hard to deal with.  I slept in a recliner for the first four nights or so. 
As of yesterday I am five weeks out from my surgery and have lost 30lbs.  The weight loss was and is not easy let me just say that.  It is an everyday journey that is fraught with hunger, temptation, desire, and thankfully the support of my friends and family also from the bloggers on this site.  I have started this blog because of the wonderful information and without them knowing it, support from the blogs I have read.
As I post I hope to give to others the knowledge and support that has helped my get thru the first five weeks.
Please let me know if I can help in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment